Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dinner in a Pumpkin September

Ingredients:


1 medium pumpkin, remove top and clean insides out
1 1/2- 2 lbs of ground beef 1 cup chopped celery
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
3 c. cooked rice


1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup1/2 cup chopped or sliced mushrooms (omit if you aren't a mushroom fan)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and pepper 

Brown hamburger. In another pot, cook rice (white or brown) as directed on package. Chop and saute celery, onion, and green onion. Once tender combine vegetables with hamburger, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, mushrooms, brown sugar, soy and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Put mixture inside the pumpkin, replace lid. Place on baking sheet and into a 400 degree oven. Bake until pumpkin is tender (1 1/2 to 2 hours). Scoop out to serve, scraping sides of pumpkin to get the cooked pumpkin in the mixture. It is so good it melts in your mouth!

4 comments:

  1. I added a little worchestershire sauce when I cooked the hamburger. I highly suggest a less fatty, higher quality hamburger and it is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make this same thing with sausage meat. I use a hot Italian sausage cause I like the flavor. But you can use any. I also add red and green peppers, again just cause I like the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried it with peppers as well, very good. We tried it once with quinoa, it was really gross, we ended up throwing the whole thing to the chickens, even my husband couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete